Friday, June 8, 2018

Day 5 (no Day 4): Chipper, but no answer

I didn't get around to calling yesterday, but here's my follow-up to my calls from Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.
Good morning, I’m calling to ask what Mr. Faso’s response would be if the president were to commit a murder.
Uh, we don’t have a statement on that.
I’m asking, of course, because on Sunday Rudy Giuliani went on TV and said that the president could kill James Comey, and nobody in the government would have the authority to indict him.
Ah-ha [recognition of why on Earth I was asking this question]
The only remedy, in Giuliani’s view, is impeachment and removal, and only then could the president be indicted.
In other words, this isn’t a hypothetical—well, it is a hypothetical, but it’s not something that’s absurd to talk about because the president’s own lawyer brought it up. It seems to be part of his own claim of how far his powers extend.
And that makes it a very relevant question for every member of the House: If the president literally killed a person conducting an investigation into the conduct of the president himself, would Mr. Faso vote to impeach?
I will see that he gets this question.
I asked a version of the same question on Tuesday, and again on Wednesday. The reason this is important is that Rep. Faso is one of a small group of people who actually have the authority to put a check on unlimited presidential power, and I would really like to know his thoughts on the use of that authority.
I’ll be happy to see that he gets this question.
Thank you.
You have a good day, sir.
You too.

This staffer was exceptionally chipper.

I suspect I’ll be calling again on Monday.

For folks in NY-19, Faso's DC office number is (202) 225-5614, and his staffers seem to be very nice people.

(This was a Friday, so Day 6 was the following Monday.)

No comments:

Post a Comment