Monday, June 25, 2018

Day 16: Would Faso support a hearing?

It had been a few days since I'd spoken with the polite staff at the office of Congressman John Faso (NY-19), so I thought I'd check in.

I’d like to thank the congressman for voting “No” on the Goodlatte bill that came up in the House.
I’ll pass that along.
I’m also glad the immediate crisis is defused with the executive order from last Wednesday, but that is far from solving the problem. For one thing, there’s the question of what happens when we reach the 20-day deadline imposed by the Flores settlement. Where does the congressman stand on indefinite detention of children?
The congressman opposes separation of families, and detention of children. He is for reunification, and he supports the immigration bill that should be coming up later this week, though they’re not sure when that will be.
Here I overlooked an important implication: Trump’s executive order “solves” the problem of family separation by allowing children to stay with their parents—in detention. So if Faso opposes detention of children, it follows that he opposes trumps EO. Typing this up, that jumps off the page at me, but I missed it at the time. Bad lawyer! If you’re interested, feel free to call the office and follow up on this.
Does that bill do anything to address the reunification of children who’ve already been separated?
I’m not sure.

From what I’ve been reading about it, it doesn’t, and that’s a really important issue to take care of.
I will pass that along.
Are there any plans to have hearings on the issue?
Like a committee hearing?
Yeah. Hearings are essentially about providing information for the public and holding the executive branch accountable. Both are needed.
The executive branch messed up. It’s a basic tool of Congressional oversight to hold hearings on the issue to determine what happened.
I will pass that along.
Standard pleasantries, and we’re done.

Ironically, her accent sounded foreign, vaguely British Commonwealth, though maybe it was someone whose first language isn’t English but was taught very well in a school that taught British English. At any rate, it didn’t sound like any U.S. regional accent I’ve ever heard.

John Faso's Washington DC office is (202 225-5614).

My next call was Thursday, June 28.

Earlier calls:

No comments:

Post a Comment