Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Day 3: Would Faso impeach for murder?

I called again today (as I did yesterday and Monday).

I laid out the basic pieces of the argument:
  1. The letter from the president’s lawyers arguing he can shut down any investigation at any time, for any reason, explicitly including an investigation into himself.
  2. His own tweet saying he has the power to pardon himself.
  3. Rudy Giuliani’s claim that Trump could literally kill James Comey and he still wouldn’t be subject to indictment—the only remedy is impeachment.
That led to two questions.
Does Mr. Faso oppose these claims of dictatorial power.
I haven’t spoken to the congressman about that, but I’ll be sure to pass along your question.
That’s what I heard when I called Monday and yesterday, so I’m not holding my breath.
Second question: since the only remedy is impeachment, if the president were to murder James Comey, would the congressman vote for impeachment?
I haven’t spoken to him about that.
Hmm, so you think it’s possible that he might not vote for impeachment even if the president murdered someone?
It’s not my place to say.
I understand that, I guess, but he’s really put you in an absurd position. It’s sort of pathetically comical that you can’t say whether the congressman would vote to impeach a president who committed murder.
You’re making your boss look bad, and he’s putting you in an awkward position.
I’ll be sure to pass along your concerns.
And I imagine I’ll be calling again tomorrow.
Thank you for your time.
And thank you for yours.
As has always been my experience with Faso’s office, the staff are unfailingly professional. I’ve heard of other representatives who have simply shut down any input whatsoever, whereas Faso still has his staff dutifully answering phones and talking politely with constituents, some of whom are not always in the best mood.

And of course it’s not the staff’s job to speak for their boss.

And yet, ...

Would you work for someone if you harbored serious doubts that they might not support impeachment of a president who murdered the man investigating him?

I am so not qualified to staff a congressman’s office.

Remember, for folks in NY-19, Faso's DC office number is (202) 225-5614. Give him a call, see if he'll give you an answer as to whether murder is an impeachable offense.

And if you're not in NY-19, try your local representative.

I didn't call on Day 4, but Day 5's conversation is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment