Monday, May 8, 2017

Trying to get his side of the story

On Saturday Joy Reid reached out to the offices of all 217 members of Congress who voted "yes" on the AHCA to see if they wanted to come on her show and discuss their vote. Not one agreed.

I thought I'd check it out with my representative, John Faso, in NY-19, who was a "yes" vote, so "NI called his office this morning.

"Good morning. Joy Reid from MSNBC says her producers reached out to each of the 217 Representatives who voted in favor of the AHCA. Quote: I offered each of them the lead spot on this show this morning, to the one-on-one with me, to explain why they voted for the bill. And not a single one agreed. End quote.

That sounds like Mr. Faso's office was contacted and decided not to accept the invitation."

I'm not sure. I don't handle media.

"Who should I contact about that?"

Are you with a media outlet?

"No, I'm a constituent who wants to understand what the Congressman's position is."

He then gave me the contact info for the office's media person, but added that "all explanations for the Congressman's votes are on the website."

"Yes, but when I spoke to the office on Friday I had the impression that they felt their position was misunderstood. I would have thought we would have taken this opportunity to reach a broader audience."

We signed off with standard pleasantries and I wrote the media director:

Dear ____,

I was referred to you by a staffer in Mr. Faso's Washington office who was unable to answer my question.

Joy Reid from MSNBC says her producers reached out to each of the 217 Representatives who voted in favor of the AHCA.

"I offered each of them the lead spot on this show this morning, to the one-on-one with me, to explain why they voted for the bill. And not a single one agreed.”

That sounds like Mr. Faso’s office was contacted and decided not to accept the invitation.

I just wanted to confirm that from your end.
 
Before giving me your email address, the staffer asked whether I was from a media outlet. I am not, but I will be writing to other constituents and wanted to make sure I was correctly representing your office's view before proceeding.

Thank you,
 
Karl Seeley
 
I wrote just before noon and still hadn't heard by the end of the day.
 
If you're in Faso's district and you feel like it, you can give his DC office a call at (202) 225-5614 and see if they know whether he was asked (or know what to say in response to the question of whether he was asked).

Previous episodes of the "Contact your Congressman" show:
Consequences
Show your work
Asking the impossible
A simpler question
Faso by phone
Open letter on health insurance, round 3
Recess grading period
Open letter to Representative Faso on health insurance

1 comment: