Thursday, May 25, 2017

You're wrong, but I won't say what's right

I called Faso's office this morning to see if the congressman had a reaction to the CBO score of the AHCA.

The staffer thought there was something about it on the website, but he couldn't guide me to it. I clarified that I was calling about the CBO score that came out just yesterday.

"Oh. ... No, I don't have anything about that. Is there something you'd like to convey?"

"Yes. One of the reasons Mr. Faso gave for voting for the AHCA was that under Obamacare there are still 20 million people without coverage. But the CBO says that the AHCA will lead to 23 million fewer people having insurance than under Obamacare. If he's concerned about not enough people having coverage, why would he vote for that?"

"I'll pass along your concern. Is there anything else?"
"Yeah. When the CBO scored the first bill, the one that didn't get voted on, Mr. Faso said he didn't agree with the CBO's analysis. But does he have his own estimate of how many will lose coverage?"

"I don't know."


"If he's disagreeing with how CBO did its analysis, that implies that he's got his own analysis with its own number of lack of coverage. If you just say, 'I don't agree,' without saying what you think is actually going to happen, that's simply hollow."

"I understand your concerns."

"Thanks, though jack-all will be done about it. Have a good day."

"You too."

If you're in NY-19 and you feel like it, you could give a call and ask for Faso's better-than-CBO analysis.

No comments:

Post a Comment